Covestro at the China International Import Expo (CIIE) in Shanghai
Pioneering work for the circular economy and a climate-neutral future
Covestro is experiencing a premiere this year: the company will be represented for the first time at the China International Import Expo (CIIE), an important national import fair for China in Shanghai. Under the motto “Pioneering a Circular Economy for a Climate-Neutral Future,” the materials manufacturer will present innovative solutions and technologies related to the circular economy – including the use of alternative raw materials such as carbon dioxide and partially bio-based raw materials that replace fossil resources, as well as a novel, groundbreaking process for the chemical recycling of polyurethane mattress foam – from November 5 to 10, 2021.
“With our broad portfolio focused on the circular economy in various industries, we are strategically well positioned to support China’s sustainable development, particularly the country’s ambitions to become carbon neutral,” said Dr. Markus Steilemann, Covestro’s CEO. “Our vision to become fully circular is in line with China’s megatrends, as we recognize that China will play a key role in the transition to a circular economy.”
Asia debut of mass-balanced MDI and polycarbonate
A key focus of Covestro’s presence at CIIE is the use of alternative raw materials. This includes the Asian debut of two ISCC PLUS-certified mass-balanced products with a lower carbon footprint: these are MDI – a key raw material for polyurethanes (PU) – and the high-performance plastic polycarbonate, with imported raw materials. Both contain a significant proportion of alternative raw materials, including plant waste, residual fats and vegetable oils, which partially replace fossil resources. And both are used in a wide range of applications: polyurethanes in insulation, upholstered furniture and automotive manufacturing; polycarbonates in the electronics, automotive and healthcare industries. Covestro’s mass-balanced products help make these end-use applications more sustainable, supporting the circular economy and, in some cases, climate neutrality.
Portfolio with diverse applications to enable circular economy
At CIIE, Covestro will be presenting even more technologies, products and solutions to this end. Here are a few examples:
- The company has developed a new technology for recycling flexible foam from polyurethane mattresses that enables the recovery of both key raw materials. This allows the carbon footprint to be reduced along the entire value chain for PU mattresses.
- Covestro is exhibiting its Triturn® CO₂ technology, which enables carbon dioxide to be reused as a valuable alternative raw material in polyol production, replacing up to 20 percent of fossil feedstock. It can be leveraged for many different types of applications and industries, such as flexible foam for mattresses and binders for sports flooring, as an answer to address consumer demands and the rising environmental awareness.
- In Electronics & Electrical, exhibits ranging from 5G infrastructure to smart devices show how Covestro’s low carbon footprint material solutions can enable a new era of smart connectivity. The company’s portfolio includes polycarbonates with high post-consumer recycled content and with mass-balanced renewable raw materials that can reduce carbon footprints by up to 80 percent.
- Renewable energy highlights include polyurethane resins that enable lighter wind rotor blades and improve the efficiency of their production, and various other material solutions for effective expansion of this renewable energy.
- In the green building sector, Covestro brings its polyurethane solutions for energy-saving pultrusion windows and as insulating foams for buildings, as well as partially bio-based polyurethane coatings for wood furniture.
To learn more about Covestro’s solutions for a carbon-neutral future at CIIE, visit Covestro’s booth, number 3B5-005, at the National Exhibition and Convention Center (Shanghai) from November 5-10, 2021.